The EMJM supports high-level integrated transnational study programmes at Master level delivered by an international consortium of higher education institutions (HEIs) from different countries worldwide and, where relevant, other educational and/or non-educational partners with specific expertise and interest in the concerned study
EMJMs are programmes of excellence and should contribute to the integration and internationalisation of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). The specificity of EMJMs lies in the high degree of jointness/integration among the participating institutions and the excellence of their academic content.
At system level
- Foster academic cooperation within the EHEA and beyond by supporting joint teaching and qualifications, quality improvements, promotion of academic excellence;
- Enhance the international dimension of higher education through cooperation between institutions in Europe and abroad, and through mobility for the best students worldwide;
- Increase the synergies between higher education, innovation and research;
- Remove barriers to learning, improving access to high quality and innovation-driven education and making it easier for learners to move between countries;
- Respond to societal and labour market needs;
- Contribute to the development of innovative education policies.
At institutional level
- Provide European and non-European HEIs with more opportunities for structured and sustainable academic cooperation worldwide;
- Improve the quality of programmes at Master level and supervision arrangements;
- Increase the internationalisation and competitiveness of participating organisations;
- Support the creation of new networks and enhance the quality of existing ones;
- Increase the attractiveness of the participating organisation(s) towards talented students;
- Contribute to the internationalisation policies of HEIs by developing international awareness through their curricula and the design of comprehensive internationalisation strategies (institutional cooperation and crossborder).
At individual level
- Improve the employability of participating students,
- Improve key competences and skills of students;
- Forge new mind-sets and approaches to academic studies through international, interdisciplinary, intersectoral and intercultural experience;
- Enhance networking and communication capacities of the students;
- Increase the individual contribution to the knowledge-based economy and society.